Monday, June 2, 2008

Volterra

Today was amazing. Massimo took us to Volterra, about an hour drive from Pistoia. We almost turned back because it was raining, but we decided to go ahead, and I'm so glad we did. Today is a national holiday in Italy, so there was a huge parade in this ancient walled city on a hill with its stone streets. Everyone was in medieval dress, and carrying weapons, baskets of flowers, or flags. There was a drum corps, which of course brought tears to my eyes (which I opted not to release, as Mollie told me she would push me into a puddle if I did anything of the sort). But the coolest part? The two pure white horned cattle, weighing maybe 2 tons a piece , taking up the majority of the narrow street, coming straight at us, pulling a large cart. It was magical. Anyone seen The Last Unicorn? Basta. I took a video of the whole thing that I'll post when we get home.

We ate at a little cafe that had a bookstore/library theme going on. It was so cute. We had a huge plate of bruchette and cheese with jam and honey. I eat so slow here, because I hate when the meal is done. I might rename the website, The McGrory Girls' Carb Tour of Italia...

I'm out. Ciao belle!

No comments: